Sunday, May 13, 2007

Lest We Forget


I'm happy to report that my dialysis days continue to do good. Other than some operator errors it has been smooth sailing. In that part I'm grateful.

...but lest we forget how I got here, I'd like to refresh your memory.

Several years ago I had a streptococcal infection in my leg that required hospitalization. After 3 days in the hospital with antibiotics given, the nurse came in and told me they'd have to discontinue the antibiotics as it was damaging my kidney. After I was out of the hospital my dishcarge required follow up care at the doctor that was taking care of me in the hospital. I did follow up for several visits and the Doctor told me that I was "border-line diabetic" and to "watch it".

Now fast forward a few more years where I ended up in emergency with extremely high glucose reading that caused me to pass out. After the dust settled and I was told I was diabetic and had kidney disease and told to see a nephrologist (kidney doctor), the doctor said that we should first see what was causing the diabetes and kidney disease. After all, there may be a possibility of some kind of blockage that could be corrected.

When the tests came back the nephrologist told me that my diabetes was from the kidney disease rather than the kidney disease was from the diabetes, and further, that I had the kidney disease when I was seeing the doctor after I was in follow-up care after the leg infection! He stated that my diabetes and kidney disease was not from "being overweight, or other usual suspects" but was caused by something more immediate. I asked him if it was from the antibiotics and stated that I wasn't interested in suing and he said, "well that doesn't matter anymore. The good thing was that you probably won't progress like most kidney disease patients" because of reason I got it in the first place.

Unfortunately, the original doctor didn't tell me I had kidney disease and just told me to be careful because of the "border-line" diabetes. So this is why my disease did not progress as normal diabetic patients were doing.

Last year I went to the doctor due to my failing health and the doctor after looking at my previous records said, "I'm not big on suing but because of the antibiotics that were given to you, you'd have a good case. (I was actually given the antibiotics at 2 different times and told both times about it damaging my kidneys)".

Well, folks, I'm not that kind of person. I realize that the doctors were doing their best to try to help me at the time. Unfortunately it had dire consequences. I'm not bitter about it as I realize doctors are human beings. I'm a little upset about the doctor that had the reports that showed I had early kidney disease but just told me I was "border-line" diabetic.

Why am I telling you this? Because sometimes we jump to conclusions. "Dan's overweight so that's why he got diabetes and that ended up with kidney disease and then kidney failure" But that's not the case at all. Medications given in good faith damaged my kidneys and brings me here today with kidney failure. The end result, of course, is still the same. I'm in dialysis 3 days a week. But the way the failure is progressing is not like most normal dialysis patients. I'm thankful for that.

I think that there are many fantastic doctors and health care professionals, but they are all human beings with human flaws. Through this whole adventure I've come to appreciate the professionals that are serious about their job and are not so arrogant to forget just who they are. But more than that, I'm even more in awe to the God that made my body and how wonderfully made it is!

I thank the Lord for good doctors, nurses, and technicians, but I don't put my faith and trust in them, but in the God who controls their minds and life. And if the results don't end up the way I want it to, well, then I ask you to pray that I accept it with the right attitude and use the circumstance to bring honor and glory to Him. We're only in this world for a short time.

This has been hanging over me for a while and I just wanted to let you know.

Dan

No comments: