Monday, June 11, 2007

Mon. 06-11-2007 10:24 pm


I've been remiss in keeping you up on the latest happenings. Sorry about that, you deserve better.


I went to dialysis today because tomorrow I'm getting cataract surgery in my right eye. Then Wed. I'm seeing the eye doctor to make sure everything is okay. Then that afternoon I'm seeing my nephrologist so he can do a vein mapping (ultrasound) of my surgery to make sure it's okay then to schedule the final surgery (hopefully).


After the surgery (probably mid July), it should take at least another 4 weeks for it to heal up and then on to a new adventure in dialysis. If that works out okay, I'll get my temporary catheter removed (yahoo!) That should almost (I said almost) eliminate the infection problem. Dr. Rehan (my nephrologist) told me I had set a new record for catheters (14) in 6 months!


By the way, since I couldn't take any blood thinners today (because of surgery tomorrow), my blood clotted after about 3-1/2 hours of dialysis, so they had to stop it. Just in case you're wondering about the blood clotting, NO it doesn't go into my body. The dialysis filter won't allow it to pass (so that's a good thing!).


I did find out why I feel so lousy after dialysis. I thought it was the dialysis, but actually it was either the iron I get for my anemia (and boy I look the part don't I !) . It's a different kind of anemia caused by the kidney failure so they have to supplement it (sorry, can't just eat liver). Plus I get another thing called Epogen. When you have kidney failure your body doesn't produce red blood cells so good so they have to give you that to supplement it.


Anyway, before I got that at the end of dialysis I was feeling GREAT! I wanted to go out and walk or plow the back 40... really! But within a minute or 2 after getting the iron and epogen, I felt my lousy self after that. So now, I'm going to look into that and see if there can be anything done about it. If not, well that's okay too.


Anyway, this was a good day for me and I praise the Lord for it and for you. You mean so much to me and you have such a positive testimony for my family. Thank you!


My sister Linda came to the church picnic and commented 3 or 4 times while she was there what a good group of people you all are. Then the other day she told me again how she was surprised what a good group and how my youngest sister has to come to the church because "you just have to see for yourself". Now that's a powerful testimony and I pray that we would always be in love with the Lord so much that people walk away glad to be there because of how great our Lord is.


Thank you!


Love, Dan


p.s. please remember to pray for Carolyn (she said she was so grateful about you the church and the support you gave her. Plus I'm thankful that Ken followed Heb 10:24 and "provoked" her to come to church. Her son that lives at home with her also told me how good you have been to her and the family. Also, please pray for Jim P.'s dad. He has a long road to hoe and they all need wisdom on all the things he will be faced with. Also, I was thankful to see Bill and Katherine at church yesterday.


Hey, I can't quit typing...... blah blah blah.... Hey, I'm old what do you expect?

No comments: