Sunday, May 25, 2008

Happy Memorial Day

Shortly it will be Memorial Day.

We hardly remember it is a day to remember those who have given their lives for your freedoms and to keep us free.

I'm thankful to my dad, my uncle Tom, Uncle Alex, Uncle Walter, Jimmy G., John E., Uncle Eddy, Albert, Dave P., my son Jackie, and a whole list of others. Thank you so much to them and their famllies that follow after them.

This last week was a rough one for me. In the hospital twice. My bad days seem to be coming more frequently. I must be getting closer to the day I'll be with the Lord. It's hard to believe and I never thought it would be like this. Harder and harder to keep positive about things. I thought when these times came, I would just say, "hey, I'm ready", but the will to survive is amazingly strong. I find when I'm losing ground, my desire to live becomes even greater.

Who knows, maybe the Lord will allow me to be here another 20 years. It doesn't seem so, but I'm not in control of things.

When I was younger, I never wanted to do it different "if I had to do it all over again", but now each day I find myself wishing I would have done things different. And although I know it's not true, it seems that most of my life was wasted. I never left another chiropractor to carry on the name, never left the family any wealth or reputation. No great fishing trips, or camp outs to remember. Waa Waa waa. woe is me. On the other hand, God has given me eternal life, and as far as I know to each one of my children and many of their children. That gift greater than any material costs and I wouldn't want to trade the difference.

I know the attitude is totally wrong, but forgive me for being human. If I wake tomorow it will be brighter and I'll look at life different. Rebuking myself for not thanking God for what He's done for me.

I'm not looking for pity, I'm just scared as my days get shorter. I'm thankful for my daughters who have been there at the nights I'm vomiting and are calm and sure and give me my pills and I finally go to sleep.

If I had any advice for whatever it's worth is to serve God with all your might. Spend your days serving Him and don't look back because you're old before you know it. Old age doesn't creep up on you, it attacks you with a vengeance.

Well, enough sob stories. Take advantage of your days.

Love, Dan

No comments: